Guildwood Park - Toronto
From WikiTO - The Toronto Wiki
|Please help Expand this article by adding additional content and photographs.|
Address: 201 Guildwood Parkway , Toronto
Main intersection: Morningside/Kingston Road and Guildwood Parkway
Nearest subway: take bus from Kennedy Station
Telephone: (416) 397-2628
Guildwood Park is a Toronto waterfront park and woodland area west of Guild Inn. It contains a mature forest and pleasant walking trails, historic stone sculptures and arches. The interesting attractions are popular for wedding photography.
How to get there
The park is located on the south side of Guildwood Parkway between Morningside Avenue and Kingston Road. By public transportation, take the 116 eastbound bus from Kennedy station.
The Guild Log Cabin is a single room, 1.5 storey structure. It is designed in a simple, solid 19th century construction.
The columns at the amphitheatre are taken from the Bank of Canada building.
Original home to the Guildwood School of the Arts and Crafts.
The original building was known as Ranleigh Park when it was built in 1914. After being bought by Rosa Breithaupt, it became a private museum to her and her husband Spencer Clark and soon their home and property was known as the Guild of All Arts. A six storey, 100 room addition was built to the Guild Inn to accommodate the increasing number of visitors who came to see the craftsmen at work and the beauty of the property.
Most of the artists’ crafts were practiced in what had been the garage and stables.
The Sculpture Studio was built by Aage Madsen, a Danish wood sculptor. Over the years it has been home to a number of artists and sculptors.