McCleary Playground is Toronto’s first “natural playground”. It is a little triangle of land at the southwest corner of Queen St. E. and McGee St. in Leslieville.
The land was orginally purchased by the city from George Leslie in 1883 for $600. It was previously an “old playground”.
The current edition was designed by by Bienenstock Natural Playgrounds. The park’s natural design uses natural structures – an upside-down tree, two huge boulders, and a sandbox built from tree trunks.
ING Direct funded the park, as part of its philanthropic “Orange in the Community” program. The estimated cost was $300,000.