Have a backyard and want to plant a tree that bears fruit. Here are some options for Toronto dwellers
1. Apple. One of the most popular. Harvest in the fall. You need 2 trees to get fruit. In Toronto apple trees are common enough that a neighbour’s apple/crab apple tree will probably suffice as a 2nd tree.
2. Cherry. Sweet cherries are ready in June/July. Cross pollination required.
3. Peach. July harvest. Many peach trees are self pollinating; you only need 1 tree.
4. Pear. Not that popular, but easy to grow.
6. Blueberry. Easy to grow, but not self pollinating
7. Plum. Not that easy to grow, but if you like plums, totally worth it.