Toronto Guide – A list of lesser known Toronto musuems
Looking for a musuem off the beaten path? We’ve got you covered.
Toronto Aerospace Musuem (65 Carl Hall Rd. 416-638-6078. torontoaerospacemusuem.com)
Located at the former Downsview Air Force base, the museum is located in a former de Havilland factory. Inside volunteers restore old planes including a reconstruction of the Avro Arrow. Other exhibits include the University of Toronto’s ornithopter, a plane whose wings replicate the motion of the wings of a bird.
Bata Shoe Musuem (327 Bloor St., Toronto. http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/)
The Bata Shoe Museum opened in 1995 on the premise that “footwear is a source of delight and reflection of human history”. The space was designed by Raymond Moriyama. Permanent collection includes 12000 pairs of shoes and artifacts. Notable shoes are those belonging to Marilyn Monroe, Princess Diana, Elton John and Madonna.
Toronto Railway Heritage Centre (255 Bremner Blvd, Toronto, ON M5V 3M9. http://www.torontorailwaymuseum.com/)
Miniature railway operates Wednesday to Saturday, 12:00 noon – 7:15 p.m., Sunday until 5:00 pm. Weekly Roundhouse Park tours each Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
Campbell House (160 Queen St. W. 416-597-0227. campbellhousemuseum.ca)
Campbell House was built in 1822 by Sir William Campbell – chief justice of Upper Canada from 1825-1829. Campbell lived in the house for 12 years before he died. The house was occupied by various other families and used for various other uses (vinegar factory, glassworks). In 1972 in order to preserve the building, the Advocate’s Society moved from its location on Adelaide St to its current home at Queen and University. The building was restored to be as historically accurate as possible.
Gibson House Museum (5172 Yonge St. @ Park Home Ave. 416-395-7432)
The Gibson House Museum is an example of Georgian architecture. It was built in the mid 19th century as a farm house for David Gibson – a member of the Legislative Assembly. After being used as a boarding house for many years, the building interior was restored.
The museum has a hands on “discovery gallery” with interactive games and exhibits.
On weekends workshops are offered on 19th cooking, desserts, breads and preserves.
Black Creek Pioneer Village (1000 Murray Ross Pkwy (Jane and Steeles). 416-736-1733. www.blackcreek.ca)
Black Creek is a recreation of a Victorian Farm with buildings moved and reconstructed from around Ontario. The result is a 1860s Ontario village. Exhibits demonstrate how domestic tasks were completed before modern technology. Activities include spinning, baking, and a history lesson.
Historical interpreters dress in the clothing of the period and answer visitors’ questions.
Favourite destinations in the village include the farm, doctor’s house, and the mill. At the historic brewery, beer is brewed using all natural ingredients. The restaurant serves meals using locally sourced ingredients. On site are also areas for concerts and gift shop.
Black Creek is operated by the Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA).
Guildwood Park (201 Guildwood Pkwy, Scarborough, ON M1P 4N7. 416-392-2489. http://www1.toronto.ca/parks/prd/facilities/complex/406/)
Guildwood Park is a Toronto waterfront park and woodland area west of Guild Inn. It contains a mature forest and pleasant walking trails, historic stone sculptures and arches. The interesting attractions are popular for wedding photography.
Redpath Sugar Museum (95 Queens Quay E. @ Jarvis. 416-366-3561. http://redpathsugar.com/contact-us/)
One of 3 sugar museums in the world (otherse are in Berlin and Hawaii). The factory was built in 1959 and is still operational. The museum accounts for the Redpath family history and the history of sugar. Call ahead to schedule musuem tour.
Mackenzie House (82 Bond St. @ Dundas East. 416-392-6915. Mackenzie house website)
Mackenzie House was presented to the Canadian politican William Lyon Mackenzie upon his retirement in 1859. The City of Toronto culture division took on the preservation of the home in 1960. $3.5 adult admission. Tours are led by costumed guides